The NHS, together with Somerset County Council, has outlined some key areas for change if it is to provide the best health and care services now and in the future. There is a gap between where we are now and where we want to be in five years’ time, in three main areas:
- the health and wellbeing of the population;
- the quality of care that is provided; and
- NHS finance and efficiency of services.
Around the country, 44 Sustainability and Transformation Programmes (STPs) have been set up to help local health and social care organisations work together to close these gaps.
Somerset is one of those STPs and is developing a plan to meet our local health and care challenges:
- our ageing population means more people are living longer (good news) but increasing older age means more complex illnesses needing more complex care
- higher than average levels of obesity and lower levels of physical activity
- a focus on fixing health problems after they happen, not stopping them from developing in the first place which often works better and costs less
- too much spent on hospitals and not enough spent on services that travel out to people’s homes and local health centres
- local (and national) shortages in health and social care staff
- a gap in our finances of £600million by 2020/21.
Somerset’s plan aims to help bring about lasting change in local services so we can help people to improve their health while making sure they get the best care and treatment when they need it. It is a five year plan that shows how health and social care services in Somerset need to change if they are to meet the needs of local people now and in the future.
Somerset’s Sustainability and Transformation Plan has been drawn up by:
- Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
- Somerset County Council
- Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Our STP sets out a vision for Somerset’s health system, rather than fully-developed proposals. Over the coming months there will be discussions with staff, patients, the public, service users, carers and other interested groups to shape and develop these proposals for high quality, lasting services.
Find out more
An NHS overview about STPs
Watch this video animation from NHS England about Sustainability and Transformation Plans
Read the full copy of the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP)
Read the summary version of the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP)
Read the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) news release
Have your say
You can tell us what you think about the STP or ask for more information by contacting us using the details below.
Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP)
NHS Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
Freepost RRKL-XKSC-ACSG (No stamp required)
Phone 01935 385240