Somerset County Council

Hearing loss


If you are Deaf, Deafened, Hard of Hearing or have a dual sensory loss, we provide information, advice and emotional support to you, your carer and family.

In the 'information and resources' section of this page we have listed all our hearing loss information sheets. They tell you about organisations that can help and advise you, as well as what support we can give. You may also find local services and information to help you on our Somerset Choices website.

The information sheets are in pdf format so that you can save them or print them. If you click on the name of the information sheet you want, it will open for you.

If you would like them in a different format, such as on CD, in Braille or in a different language, please contact us and we will send them to you.

We can assess your needs and show you equipment that may help you. 

Specialist workers can give advice and contacts for:

  • British Sign Language (BSL)

  • Sign Supported English (SSE)

  • Finger Spelling Signed English (SE)

  • Total Communication (TC)

  • Cued Speech Lip Reading

Sign language interpreters are fluent in BSL, SSE and English. This means they can communicate with you and for you.

Information about interpreters is available from our specialist social workers or the Action on Hearing Loss website.

If you want to learn BSL, contact your local college for a prospectus, or search the Somerset Skills and Learning website.

Equipment that we can show you includes:

  • Clocks

  • Doorbells

  • Alarms 

  • Alert phone

  • Ringing phone

  • Speech television 

  • Video theatre  

  • Meeting - loop system

To get a hearing aid, digital hearing aid or cochlear implant, go to your doctor. They will refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant.

How much it does costs
There is no cost for your assessment. Other costs depend on what equipment is needed. 

There is no charge for lip reading classes in Somerset, but costs for sign language classes may vary depending on the type of sign language you wish to learn.

Hearing Dogs for Deaf people - This is similar to the Guide Dogs for the Blind Scheme. Dogs are specially trained to help Deaf people by alerting you to certain sounds and leading you to the source of the sound. More information is available from Hearing Dogs for Deaf People.

Applying for a Disabled Persons Rail Card

Please visit where you can apply a Disabled Persons Railcard.

You do not need a Social Services stamp as proof of your hearing loss, you can provide the front sheet of your NHS battery book.


Contact: Customer Contact
Use the 'Contact Adult Social Care' form if you have a quick question for the team 
For a more detailed conversation please phone 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »