Somerset County Council

Social Care - what we do


Community Connect

We support you to find solutions in your community to keep you independent for longer. 

We work with you and our partners in the health service and community organisations to provide really useful information and advice so you can get on with your life.

We call this Community Connect

How Community Connect can help you

  • You can get information and advice quickly
  • You can get the support you need to stay independent
  • You can get help to find out about what is happening in your community and to meet new people
  • You can find out about volunteering opportunities
  • You can find out about equipment to support you to live at home
  • If you are a carer, you can get advice and support with your caring role

Where to go for information and advice

Talk – to a social worker, a volunteer or community agent at a Community Connect drop-in. You can find all the dates and venues here: The team at the drop-in can help with everything, from finding a local social group and support with money, to help with transport or support for carers.

Look – online The website provides information about local services, groups and events. You can find people who may be able to help here 

Visit  the Independence Advice Centres (IAC) for advice about equipment. You can speak to someone about your options and ‘try before you buy’. To make an appointment phone 0300 123 2224 or email

Phone or email us to speak to someone about what matters to you and what is available to support you. Phone 0300 123 2224 or email 

This short video is an example of how Community Connect works - Alan and Pat’s story 

Read stories from people who have been helped by Community Connect.

You can follow any of the links in 'related services' to take you to more detailed information about Adult Social Care support.

Has this page helped you decide where to go for information and advice? 

Use the 'Was this information helpful?' form at the bottom of this page to tell us more

Advocacy is when someone independent helps another person to understand what they are being told and to support and make sure their opinions are heard. 

Understanding the care and support system can often be daunting, especially if you have no one to talk things through. Our staff will always try and help you themselves, but by talking with an advocate they may be able to cover and perhaps explain in better ways what some of the complex processes and possibilities are for you. You can find out more on the Somerset Choices website.

Independent advocacy service
If we think you would benefit from the support that an advocate can provide and have no one else available to you who can do this, such as a family member of friend, we will ask an advocate to become involved.

In Somerset our independent advocacy service is provided by Swan Advocacy. 

Swan Advocacy contact details: 
Somerset office
Hi-point, Thomas Street, Taunton, TA2 6HB
Phone 03333 44 7928


Contact: Customer Contact
Use the 'Contact Adult Social Care' form if you have a quick question for the team 
For a more detailed conversation please phone 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »