Volunteer Privacy Notice
Data Controller: Somerset County Council - ICO Registration Z5957592
Data Protection Officer Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose for processing:
- Administration of volunteer agreements and arrangements;
- Administer and manage your volunteer placement
- Safeguarding of Somerset County Council clients and customers;
- Support the delivery of services
- Payment of expenses.
Legal basis for processing
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 as amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
- Safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children (The Care Act 2014, The Children and Families Act 2014, and The Children’s Act 2004)
- Proof that volunteer is legally able to fulfil the volunteer role (e.g. Volunteer drivers must have current drivers’ licence, with no more than 6 points)
- Volunteer Safety and Security (protected as non-employees, under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, whilst undertaking duties under their control, SCC Public Liability Insurance)
- We may be required to give information to legal authorities if requested or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order.
If you are under 16 and become a volunteer we must have the consent of your parents or guardian to become a volunteer.
Where your information is not processed in accordance with the law we will use your personal data in order to deliver a service to you, including your profile, provide you with recommendations of volunteering opportunities, and recruitment process and training, depending on the volunteer role you apply for. We will use your email address (where provided) to contact you about changes to our service and important information about your role.
When you enquire about our volunteer services we will process your enquiry, and provide you with the information that you have asked for.
When you apply to become a volunteer for Somerset County Council, you willingly enter a voluntary agreement, formed between you and Somerset County Council. In order to carry out our obligations under that agreement we must process the information you give us, as set out in the purpose for processing.
Where you have given us your explicit consent, we will use your information in the way that you have asked us to such as provision of a newsletter or sharing your information with partner organisations to provide you with information about further volunteering opportunities.
Your personal data will be shared with relevant Somerset County Council Services and partner organisations who you may be supporting.
This data will not be transferred abroad
This data will be retained for a period determined by UK law and regulations, or in some cases to meet specific requirements of the service being provided.
This data will be retained on file for the duration of the volunteer’s involvement with the Council as a volunteer, and for a further 6 years in order to support any follow up enquiries, unless your role is supporting children and it will then be held to meet any requirements resulting from the IICSA Enquiry. Information held about unsuccessful applicants is destroyed after 12 months.
You have the right to ask Somerset County Council for a copy of your data, the right to rectify or erase your personal data, and the right to object to processing. However, these rights are only applicable if the Council has no other legal obligation concerning that data.
You also have the right to complain to the regulator, https://ico.org.uk/
If you do not supply this information to us, we will not be able to place you into a volunteer role.
For more information see www.somerset.gov.uk/privacy